Sunday, February 28, 2010

Glasses

Photobucket

Embarrassingly, many of you have asked if B's new look is for real, or just something I concocted in the name of accessorizing.
Do you really think I would do such a thing??

A few months ago our pediatrician noticed Beckett's eye turning in, but I didn't think much of it as I had never noticed anything. The next visit was for Wil and she saw it happening again. She mentioned casually that sometimes if that part of the brain hasn't been stimulated it shuts down and the damage is irreversible. Yikes. I had a eye doctor appointment made that day.

Beckett has a lazy left eye. He is severely far sighted in his left eye and moderately far sighted in his right. His condition is called Accommodative Esotropia which refers to a crossing of the eyes ("esotropia") caused by farsightedness. Poor little guy inherited this from his father.

I was worried about the diagnosis and wasn't sure how accurate the testing could be due to Beckett's age, but from the first time he put the glasses on he has never tried to take them off (unless they've interfered with him laying down).

I take it they're working.

So, here's the new face of Beckett. I ignorantly asked the optometrist how long he would have to wear them and was taken aback when she answered that the prescription is usually lessened at age 11 or 12.

Photobucket

Fortunately he is adorable in them (at least I think so). He is constantly telling people about his lazy eye, "hey, I have a lazy eye" and whenever he sees someone else with glasses asks, "mommy, does he/she have a lazy eye?"

Who knew when I took this picture back in August 07 that it would become a reality for this little man.
(And these glasses are the reason you were all wondering about the validity of his rims.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

8 comments:

Megan said...

I love the new look! He is adorable... with or without glasses!

ashlee said...

Sweet little boy. I'm waiting for him to tell me about his lazy eye. He just tells me about going pee on the potty :-)

Cass said...

I think it makes him look even more like his daddy.

Carrie said...

Awe... Beckett is so sweet! And you have to remember that you (and I) do happen to own multiple pairs of fake glasses (just for the sake of accessorizing). So don't be too hard on yourself ;) But, did I tell you that I actually NEED to get glasses of my own just for distance (like while driving or at the movies). I was actually sad to hear the news. It's only fun when you get to choose to wear the glasses just when you feel like it. AND...it's way better to spend $10 on fake ones instead of hundreds of dollars. Lame.

Unknown said...

He looks great!!! I found your blog on a google alert for Lazy Eye... my daughter has Amblyopia (Lazy Eye) and wears glasses also :)

the fellers said...

I second Carrie...although I dont have to buy fake ones, I have needed them since grade 8...but still, I remember us all wearing them for the "look." I dont think it is bad if you DID put them on him for looks, cause they look dang cute on him, I would! Anyway, I hope it gets better, but even if it does he is definitely a good candidate for glasses!! Loves

Josephine said...

He is super handsome in them, I've got a little nephew with the same thing, and I think that they are doubly cute with glasses.

ashley marie said...

I love his little glasses and I'm glad that the optometrist was able to accurately diagnose the issue!! seriously, you've fam is just adorable -- glasses and all!!!