Wednesday, January 03, 2007

36 and 1/2 weeks


As the New Year came and went, and we are now a few days into the month of January, I find myself in a very interesting position. There are a lot of new changes about to take place in my life, and I am both very excited and very nervous about everything that's about to take place. At the beginning of this pregnancy, my fears of the delivery far outweighed anything else. However, as the time soon approaches, I find myself fearing bringing baby home more than anything else. It's difficult for me to wrap my mind around the idea that Nathan and I are never not going to be parents again. When I first found out I was pregnant I had the thought...'man, I'm not ready to have a baby', but figured that was why our gestational period is 9 (actually 10) months. However, upon nearing the end of my 10 months, I still don't feel ready (maybe qualified is a better term) to have and raise a baby. But I have come to the conclusion that I will never be ready. If I was pregnant for 3 years, I still don't think I'd feel qualified for raising a baby. So, I've decided to head into the situation, taking it one day at a time. There are so many unknowns and I figure--why stress about things when I don't even know what's going to happen. I just need to concentrate on all the good that will come and have faith to know that everything is going to work out and that there is always someone watching over me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linds, you are right, you will NEVER be ready. There will be days, probably most days, when you will just sit and look at your little guy and think, "Hmmmm, is he really mine??" I still think, "Ok, when am I going to be done babysitting? When is his mom coming??" Then I realize, I AM his mom! It is so awesome though Linds. You will do an amazing job. Your baby already knows you, and will know when you hold him. I hope you are feeling good, I will call you soon!!!
Love ya!!!

Paula said...

Lindsay,

I am not a mother yet but I have the same fears when I even think about starting a family. I am so grateful that I don't have do this whole parenting thing by myself. I agree that with the fact that a person probably is never really ready and it is a huge leap of faith in yourself and your abilities. You will be a great mother and you a have wonderful companion to help you raise little Beckett. We can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Girl!
No one is ever ready to become a parent (I don't think). You will be awesome, Nathan will be a great dad, it's totally normal to be nervous, life will never be the same and YOU WILL LOVE IT!!

Good luck and we're thinking a/b you two (almost three!)

Brooke said...

I totally remember that overwhelming feeling of uncertainty that comes before having a baby. It's kind of one of those things you can't think too much about or else you'll go crazy! It will just happen like everything else in life...You will do great Lindsay, just take it as it comes and do your best! Keep keeping us posted!

heidi said...

where did you get that maternity shirt? you look so great and young and hip that i want one too.
ps-i am not a random blogstalker. i am a friend of paula and natalie's

Anonymous said...

Linds, I remember those feelings when I had...oh...that's right. i don't have a child. or a boyfriend even, for that matter. silly me! but know that i love you and you'll be a great mommasita.

Anonymous said...

Wow Lindsay, you basically summed up exactly how i've been feeling lately! I really haven't even been getting nervous anymore about the labor and delivery because I know it will end, (and the hospital said they will give me an epidural when im dialated to a 3!!! so heck this could very well be a breeze!) but my biggest concern and worry is I have to know how to be a mother right away! I am responsible for and have to know how to take care of this little life, and im not sure i know how to do that! I just hope the whole maternal instinct thing is real, cuz i'm gonna need it! Good luck with everything... you can probably have the possibility of delivering anyday now... so I'll be waiting to hear from you guys about your new little guy! Love you!!!! Call me if your bored... cuz i am!

Anonymous said...

If I were you, I would check into the Return Policy on little Beckett. It's good to read the fine print before you bring the product home.

Just kidding! You are going to be a heck of a mom. Beckett is a lucky little boy, to be coming to parents like you and Nathan. You've got all kinds of people--on both sides of the veil--cheering you on. We're excited!!